Sunday, March 6, 2011

Zumba-Por Tu Corazon

Because of my current circumstances (which require me to be readily available at all times), I haven't been doing as much running...with my legs. I'm still very much 'running on faith' and my relationship with God to get me through this season. I am still exercising (actually more than before!), which has always been enjoyable to me and a great stress reliever. My new exercise passion is ZUMBA! Zumba is a latin based cardio. It is set to latin and pop music and is a mixture of latin dance moves, hip-hop, and aerobics. Zumba's motto is "Join the Party" and I know why. The classes are so fun that you forget how hard you are working. That is, until you stop and are out of breath and covered with sweat.
The local Zumba instructors this month are doing benefits for the American Heart Association. They call it "Zumbathon- Party Hearty" and it is for your heart health. Translated, "Por Tu Corazon" (for your heart)And I want to tell you that Zumba has been very good for my heart.
I could easily feel pretty down about my current situation, part of which I have to accept some blame. My enemy has been constantly available to remind me of both my current and past failures. Not good for  the type-A heart. Usually when we think about "protecting our heart" we instinctively think about putting up walls to keep things out that might hurt us. The absolute opposite is true when we look at heart health through spiritual eyes. We actually have to protect ourselves from the things that are within our hearts. Scripture has a lot to say about this. When your heart is hurting, it is so easy for it to affect your attitudes, and therefore, your behaviors.

- "Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it." Prov 4:23
- "But the things that come out of a person’s mouth come from the heart, and these defile them." Matt 15:18
- "A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of." Luke 6:45

The heart of God is filled only love. He is the source of love...period. We are only capable of love in our hearts because we have him as the source; to show the love of God requires daily emptying of what is naturally in our heart and supernaturally filling it again with what is in God's.  He doesn't need to guard his heart to protect something else from getting in.  He guards his heart constantly so that He will only show us love. For out of the heart is the overflow of the mouth. When God speaks, it has power. Therefore, He constantly guards his feelings toward us. If we want to please him and ultimately be more like him, we have to guard our hearts so that the things that hurt us are handed over to him to deal with. Then they won't affect our ability to love others, especially those that are hard to love.
So this leads me back to Zumba. I have had a special affinity in my heart for Latin culture ever since God sent me to both Guatemala and Mexico on mission trips. I really believe that part of my current enjoyment is simply the fact that God anointed this particular passion.
I also have always loved to dance. (I was on the dance team at my high school)  Right now, there is a lot about my current situation that is out of my control. But there are a few things that I can control and my spiritual and physical fitness are two of them. So, while I wait on the Lord to reveal himself in my current situation, there is one thing I can and will do. I can dance. I will dance, because it makes me happy and that has been very good for my heart. <3

I Hope You Dance --Leann Womack
I hope you never lose your sense of wonder
You get your fill to eat
But always keep that hunger
May you never take one single breath for granted
God forbid love ever leave you empty handed
I hope you still feel small
When you stand by the ocean
Whenever one door closes, I hope one more opens
Promise me you'll give faith a fighting chance

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
I hope you dance
I hope you dance

I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance
Never settle for the path of least resistance
Living might mean taking chances
But they're worth taking
Lovin' might be a mistake
But it's worth making
Don't let some hell bent heart
Leave you bitter
When you come close to selling out
Reconsider
Give the heavens above
More than just a passing glance

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
I hope you dance
(Time is a real and constant motion always)
I hope you dance
(Rolling us along)
I hope you dance
(Tell me who)
I hope you dance
(Wants to look back on their youth and wonder)
(Where those years have gone)

I hope you still feel small
When you stand by the ocean
Whenever one door closes, I hope one more opens
Promise me you'll give faith a fighting chance

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
Dance
I hope you dance

No comments:

Post a Comment