Sunday, March 13, 2011

Ok God, Let's Make a Deal

I've spent the last few blogs intimating what partly got me into my current situation. Without laying out all the specifics (which at this time I am not a liberty to do), I think I've made it clear that I am in a situation not of my own choosing. It is difficult both physically and emotionally and has the potential to really shift my future. I've shown via the blog how God has really worked in my life to completely change my perspective on acceptance of these types of life events and how much I trust him with my future. I've told him numerous times, "Just point me in  the direction I'm supposed to go, and that is where I will walk in faith." Even though I didn't choose this situation I have already come to the realization that without said change I might not have pursued the path that God has in mind for me. The truth is, that often we will choose to stay put in our misery because it is what we know rather than take a step into the unknown. This is often when God steps in, working through life circumstances and relationships, to guide us to "the best" he has in store for us. Without life's interruptions, we probably would stay put.
So having realized all of this, I have been fervently petitioning God to show me which path to choose next. For those of you old enough, do you remember the game show, "Let's Make a Deal?" The contestant after some challenges was given the opportunity to choose what was behind one of three doors. It could be a fabulous prize or something quite the opposite....like a farm animal. After struggling through challenges, I was feeling like a participant in some type of heavenly game show. Which door should I choose? What are my options? Which one does God want me to pick? I kept asking him to show me which door to pick. And then I heard the Holy Spirit ask me very clearly, "What does God's word say, Jennifer?"

 Matthew 7: “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.  For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened."

Luke 11: “So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.  For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. “Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead?  Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion?  If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”


It became very clear to me in that moment that I have to be a participant. Although not a game, this does require my participation. It is so typical that we always try to reduce our faith to a formula, rather than a friendship. We want to be able to do this or that, and then rest assured that if we do somehow we have earned God's favor and then he will give us our heart's desires. I even found myself starting to do it with the "radical"  commitment I had made at the beginning of this year. I told myself, "Surely God will come through for me if I stick with it or vice versa... if I fail to keep my pledge, will he let me down or even worse, let me fail?"  The truth is, we already have God's favor and  my obedience merely unlocks his ability to pour out his grace into my life. God loves me period regardless of what I do or don't do.  Our  friendship is a relationship, not a formula for grace. The Word clearly tells me, I have to knock on the doors. God will open the one that leads to his best. My job is to expectantly wait for it and be willing to close the door of  the past so I can step forward into God's future for me. 
So this is exactly what I have done. I have knocked on every conceivable door I saw in front of me. Believe you me, I would not have done a few of them without God's prodding. I am anxious to see what is behind those doors I've knocked on. So now I wait for God's best. Waiting...I think that will be my next installment.

No comments:

Post a Comment