Saturday, April 3, 2010

Standing in the Door of the Tomb

As we approach Easter and everything that it symbolizes to Christians, God has consistently had me wrapping my mind around its interesting dichotomy. You see, there really are two parts to Easter that we remember each year. The first and probably most obvious, even to non-Christians, is that Christ died for us on the Cross. In the old testament God taught his people the concept that to atone for sin there had to be a sacrifice with the shedding of blood on the altar to God. This physical concept laid the foundation for what he would want us to accomplish in our hearts after the new Covenant. After Jesus came, we no longer have to kill sheep, birds, or rams in order to be forgiven by God. He was the only sacrifice that could take away all the sins of the world. He died for you and for me, even before we chose to accept his gift.  "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this; while we were still sinners Christ died for us." (Romans 5:8) When an individual really comprehends this and the fact there is nothing we can do on our own to be saved, most turn their life over to Christ. Even though we don't have to make sacrifices anymore, God does require us to participate in his death. Col 3:3 (For you died, and now your life is hidden in Christ); Rom 12:1 (Therefore I urge you brothers in view of God's mercy to present yourself as living sacrifices,holy and pleasing to God, this is your spiritual act of worship). This means that everyday we die to self. The problem with living sacrifices is that they try to climb off the altar. It takes daily submission of our will to God's will for your life.  This is the point in which I think most Christians get stuck. I'll call them and myself, "Zombie Christians". We walk around life as the living dead. The world looks at us as we say, "See, I'm dying to self...I'm denying myself and taking up my cross for Christ." To a non-Christian who hasn't comprehended what Christ's sacrifice was all about, this is not very attractive.
God does not want us stuck in the door of the tomb. If all we needed for life was for Christ to die, God would have left it that way. But he didn't; the tomb is empty because Christ was resurrected...he is alive and this is the way God wants us to live. He has made available to us the same power that brought Christ back from the grave. As soon as you or I accept Christ, we have that power available to us. You know what? I WANT IT! " I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so somehow, to attain the resurrection from the dead." Phillipians 3:9-11. I'm not simply talking about eternal life and living with Christ forever. I already have that. I'm talking about fears, insecurities, and daily life struggles.  I don't just want to daily put those things on God's altar as they continue to cause me pain; I want to be transformed by the renewing of my mind. I'm wanting God to make them non-issues for me. This only happens if I am willing to step out of the tomb. I am wanting the next time I experience rejection or the feelings of insignificance, they don't even affect me like they once did. Why? Because I live with resurrection confidence. If my God is for me, then who can be against me? The enemy thought he had won when God's son was killed; he didn't know the second half of the story. Imagine what life could be like if we all fully comprehended the power of the resurrection and actually lived that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment