Saturday, February 4, 2012

Training in Babylon

Today has officially been one year since my life abruptly changed. Looking back, I can honestly say that God has taken my circumstances and ultimately worked them for my good. (Romans 8:28) Although my circumstances haven't changed much in the past year, I have. And that I wouldn't trade for the world.

Let me give you a couple pictures to illustrate. This was me one year ago. Ugh.

I was very comfortable with my life. To use a familiar saying in the South, "I was fat and happy." Literally. But God knew that my comfort was not working for me both literally and spiritually. So, he forced me to move. At first, it was painful. I had to give up my routine, my house, my church, my friends and worst of all...my habits. All the things that I relied upon for solace, comfort, and daily sustenance were suddenly stripped away. But, I have learned that was ultimately the point. God has taught me to live a new way. To survive, I literally had to stop relying on things and start relying on Him. This meant a radical change in my daily diet, which begins each morning by feasting on his word. I have literally clung to it for its promises, my hope, and my salvation as I have walked these last 365 days. Instead of worldly things sustaining me, it is Jesus. Only Jesus. "I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry.." John 6:35

Gradually other healthy activities have replaced my former routines. I have literally thrown myself into working out and living healthy. It has helped me to cope, endure, and persevere through this trial. And true to this blog, has helped to illustrate many spiritual principles that often can be related to physical challenges. His word tells us that suffering produces perseverance. Perseverance produces character. Character produces hope.
This is me now. I have lost twenty pounds with the intention to lose much more. This in itself makes me proud. However, I am more proud of what I have gained. I am stronger in many ways than I have ever been. Building both spiritual and physical muscle by feasting daily on the diet the Lord had planned for me. Reflecting back, in many ways it reminded Greg and I of the story of Daniel. Daniel was taken into 'captivity' in Babylon. He had a choice what he was going to eat on a daily basis....worldly pleasures, or the strict diet of God's supply.  A diet of worldly pleasures might taste good going down, but in the end Daniel knew the results of 'fat and happy' was a lie.  He chose the latter. After the test, he looked better (than his peers, amen!) and ultimately received the hope from God he needed to persevere through the rest of his captivity. My prayer is that it is the same for me.
"Give us nothing but vegetables to eat and water to drink. Then compare our appearance with that of the young men who eat the royal food, and treat your servants in accordance with what you see.”  So he agreed to this and tested them for ten days. At the end of the ten days they looked healthier and better nourished than any of the young men who ate the royal food. So the guard took away their choice food and the wine they were to drink and gave them vegetables instead. To these four young men God gave knowledge and understanding of all kinds of literature and learning. And Daniel could understand visions and dreams of all kinds." Daniel 1:13-17
Every year I have asked God to provide me with a bible verse for the coming year. This year, I believe it is Philippians 1:19-20. "For I know that through your prayers and God’s provision of the Spirit of Jesus Christ what has happened to me will turn out for my deliverance. I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body." Thank you Lord that you are faithful to complete all the good work that you begin in us. I pray that I will continue to persevere with courage and that 2012 will be our year of deliverance, both from our physical captivity, and our spiritual chains that have held us back from fully proclaiming Christ. May 2012 be a year of hope; I think confidently I can say, we're looking better already.

1 comment:

  1. While doing my Bible study this morning I realized the date and thought, "It's been a year. Wonder if she'll blog about it today." You know that if I thought about it, I prayed for you too! Persevered is definitely an accurate word to describe 2011 for you! Love that verse in James.

    ReplyDelete